• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Box Longeron?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapmanite

Evening Folks,

Let me preface this by saying that I'm in the learning about design phase of design at the moment, throwing questions in the air like mad and trying to find answers. I've been successful on that front for the most part, but this one is eluding me: Why built-up box-section longerons, since box-section spars work so well? My first though was that perhaps longerons take substantial loads in too many directions, and that orienting ply grain or laminate thickness to take all of them would make it too heavy, or too complex. The next, relating to the latter, is that replacing, say 240 in^3 of 27 lb/ft^3 spruce with a greater volume of balsa and capping it with birch ply would just be too heavy. Finally, would they be weight-efficient, but in general too hard to construct for the weight shed?

Thanks for your input,
chapmanite

Back