• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bending Wood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
I have a question about bending wood, specifically, soaking it, bending it to the desired curve, clamping into a form and letting it dry. My question is how much spring-back might I expect when the piece is dry and pulled from a form? I'm guessing the answer is going to be "It varies", but is there some amount of spring-back I might expect that I might even get close to the desired shape on at least a test piece?

The wood will be Northern White Pine. Size of the member is 5/8" X 3/4" (longeron repair), and it will be bent "the easy way" with the curve along the 5/8" width and the 3/4" height has no curve. I would make a template "form" of the side I'm wish to duplicate and would also expect to use a form at assembly time to do any tweaking of the curve. The curve is about a 5 degree (just a guess) angle over about a 14-16" length, so it's no radical curve. I think installing the section that needs repair would be easier to accomplish if the wood is at least somewhat pre-shaped.

All the bending I've done up to this point has been "dry" bending and crossmembers, corner gussets and such were glued in while the bend was clamped into position. After glue curing took place the completed assembly held the bent part in position.

Having not done this before, is just soaking the part in room temp water adequate, or will it have to be hot water or possibly even steamed? I'm guessing heat would speed the process, but it it almost a necessity with a piece of the 5/8" X 3/4" dimensions? I don't think it matters, but the total length of the piece will be about 36-40", with the bend starting about 10" from one end.

Thanks, as always, in advance.

Lynn

Back