• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ideas wanted: Making the skins flat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

Those of you following my project log have seen these pictures before.
001.jpg002.jpg

The sides were built flat on the table and then bent as shown. The problem is that the bottom longeron (on top in the pictures, as the fuselage is upside down) bending in a compound curve. As a result, it is twisting and causing the bow in the plywood skin.

Any ideas as to how to straighten this?

Shown in the pictures is the inside skin. Eventually there will be an outside skin with a layer of foam inbetween. I will also need to add some hardpoints for mounting the controls, etc.

Two ideas I have so far is to 1) put on the outer skin and foam with the sides flat, and then hope I can bend them, and 2) with the sides flat add some small vertical pieces so that when the sides are bent the sides will be held flat.

A third method, which I don't care to do, is to start over and steam bend the longerons in a jig, and then add the skin afterwards.

Back