• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Woods suitable for prop making

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Bill

I'm looking to make a 48X40 prop for a 35 hp engine and have been having trouble finding any good wood. Maple is my first choice but so far I've had no luck finding it or finding good useable clear straight grain material. Have looked for other suitable substitutes but they are just as unobtainable. Much like trying to find good afordable spruce or Douglas fir.

So, I'm looking at other options. What keeps coming back up in all my looking is poplar. I can find it all day long in good clear straight grains.
I realize that the compressive strength and other properties are not as good as hard maple, or birch. That said I'm not building a prop for a 180 Lyc.
And I plan to wrap it in carbon fiber, with a good size hub to boot.

any thoughts on this?

Back