• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cygnet Wings are Wood. What About Grain Direction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbrochey

I may have missed passed discussions about this but since I'm getting set to start my Cygnets wings I have a question regarding the spruce grain direction. I work with spruce (and a host of other wood varieties) during my daily guitar building. In guitars we primarily build with quartersawn wood and the grain is generally in the direction that would experience the most tension and load. For example the braces are installed with the grain 90 degrees to the surface for the top and back plates. The same holds true for other parts so flatsawn is not even considered for most things... maybe get away with it on the neck... anyway the Cygnet has A LOT of geodesic spruce strips, plus of course the spars etc. And is there a general rule about this???? Thanks!:ponder:

Back