• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Falconar Minihawk.....can anyone comment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwbdriver

Hello,
I am finalizing (and taking forever) my decision as to which bird to build. I think I like an all wood design, although tube and rag would be ok, too. I like the idea of a 2 place plane and the ideal candidate would have folding wings or at least easily detachable. That being said, I am absolutely fascinated with Falconar's Minihawk. I think it is a clone of a Gardan GY 20, although the windscreen seems quite a bit steeper on the Minihawk in addition to the non-conventional gear. It cannot be made with foldable or detachable wings, but not a real dealbreaker.

Does anyone here have any further knowledge of this bird or of Falconar in general? Once upon a time I dreamed of building their P-51, but it was never realized. I have heard good things about the quality of their plans, but there isn't much out there on the Minihawk.

What I would really like to do is hang a Rotec on the front and have an Aeronca LC look a like. THAT would be cool. But, I will likely have years before having to decide on a power plant.

Any insight or comments would be appreciated. I am a first time builder, but pretty good with woodwork and engines. I have a 4 car garage that I could dedicate half for the project. I also have an understanding wife (most important!!) and a young son that I would like to have involved as soon as he is old enough to hand me some tools.

Last edited:
Back