• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Adhesives - Aerodux 500 and Titebond 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Hello:

I know this has been done to death, but I'm wondering if anyone here has used this - Aerodux 500.

Aerodux Resorcinol Resin Kit - DYN-185 - 1 Gallon Bottle

I am starting to collect what I need to build my first plane - a Legal Eagle XL. My plan is to use Titebond III for the ribs and Aerodux(Recorsinol) for the spars. I know that Epoxy has quite a following, but I have read quite a bit on it relative to boat building and I think that it has more weaknesses that is often admitted. I've built a couple of boats with it and it is no doubt easy to use. The gap filling is a benefit. My problem is with what heat does to it. On one of the boats I see it failing fairly quickly and I'm certain it's due to sun and heat. On the other hand my father used recorsinol to build a duck boat years ago. It fell into disuse and we ultimately set it afloat in the lake behind the house. It held together until they dredged the lake stuck up on the band half filled with water. For years and years.

Somehow I just trust recorsinol more than epoxy. It absolutely time tested. Still the only thing good enough for the navy and to manufacture beams to be used out in the weather. If you read up one the product I've linked to it claims some gap filling as well. But in any case a bit more time spent prepping the joints and addressing the clamping doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Anyway, any experiences or opinions would be appreciated.

John

Back