• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Are these spar blanks okay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdus

Long story short, a few months ago, I posted a question about a spar I had from Aircraft Spruce with a tiny knot and asked if it was okay. I ended up ordering a new set of blanks from Wicks. I'm just getting to the point where I'm about ready to assemble the wings. I just now (not an hour ago) opened the box with the spars (probably should have done it right when I got them). Upon inspection (and after cleaning up their end cuts so I could see better), I'm a little concerned about the angle of the growth rings in one of the blanks. Here are two photos of the ends of the two blanks. The angle of the growth rings of the spar on the right looks okay to me. Not sure about the little "jog" in the rings, though. At the top of the spar on the left, the angle of the growth rings looks very steep to me, particularly towards the top of the blank. I think I recall reading that the angle shouldn't exceed 45 degrees, but I don't know for sure. This angle is way more than that. The third photo is of the space between the spars when placed up against each other (showing a little curve). I'm guessing that over 8 feet, that's no big deal and that it will be super easy (and expected) to trammel that out upon assembly.

Please let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Jay

p825633928-6.jpg

p948708022-6.jpg

p563552339-5.jpg

Attachments

• p825633928-6.jpg
    p825633928-6.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 83
  • p948708022-6.jpg
    p948708022-6.jpg