• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Oiled wood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrScrith

I'm taking over a Mini-Max scratch-built airplane. The previous owner had stored the completed wing ribs and spar in a machine shop, where everything in the place gets a thin coating of a vegetable-based cooling oil from the CNC Milling machines they have running there.

The spar was mostly covered so it should be ok, and the fuselage and tail surfaces were stored in his hanger so no issue there, but the ribs were exposed and are likely well-coated by this oil. They were not sanded/varnished so bare wood absorbing the stuff.

Do you know what issues I may face with this? Is it worth trying to salvage the ribs or should I just use them for kindling and remake the lot?

Back