• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Another Steam Bending Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I know steam bending has been discussed many times, but I have not seen an answer to my specific questions.

1. If you bend a piece of wood when it is dry, and then do the glue up, you are "building in" a certain amount of stress. This will take away from the maximum allowable stress that the wood can handle, not to mention the stress on the glue joints (and yes, the glue is stronger than the wood).

2. It has been said that steam bending damages the wood somehow. So if you steam bend before the glue up, the wood looses strength. Then again, there will be no residual stress on the glue joints.

Which is worse? Steam bending or bending dry?

There are a lot of builders that steam bend, and a lot that don't. Have there been any failures that can be attributed to either method?

Back