• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is plywood required as a covering to ensure bonding and strength ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith103

Hi to all,I am posting 3 images of the wooden tail boom that I just made.The 3 long strips are hemlock. All other pieces are spruce. Some sanding and finishing is yet to be done.Wondering whether it is OK to attach it (as is), to the main body of the airplane without a plywood covering ? The part is made of wood and T-88, and looks strong, but I am sure a coat of plywood ( 1.5 mm ) will re-inforce the structure and hold all parts more tight.Unfortunately it is already at 8.5 lbs, so the plywood covering will add another 3 to 4 lbs, which will create issues with Pt 103 weight limitations.Secondly this part now weighs 8.5 lbs, is that too much weight for a tail boom ? I need to keep the whole airframe at 145 lbs. Is that still doable ?This is a generic wood and fabric design, but not a clone of any other popular designs.Thanks for any advise.

Attachments

• DSC00750.jpg
    DSC00750.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 320
  • Tail boom 1.jpg
    Tail boom 1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 341
  • Tail boom 2.jpg
    Tail boom 2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 325
Back