• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Plywood: Scarf Joints vs Shipping Cost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I would expect that a properly made scarf joint would be as strong or stronger than the wood itself.

Let's say that I want to buy plywood to cover my fuselage.

4 sheets of 4x4 1/8th inch thick from Aircraft Spruce cost $192, plus can be shipped UPS for $101.97, for a total of $293.97.

2 sheets of 4x8 1/8th inch thick is $196.50 and must be shipped freight for $169.41, for a total of $365.91.

(These are examples only, not what I will actually be using.)

So would having fewer scarf joints be worth the extra $71.94?

Of course what I need to do is figure out how much I actually need and see how many can be shipped for that $169.41.

Back