• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Another laminated wood gear idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I was looking for information on laminating Hickory, when I came across this old thread on primitivearcher.com.

They are discussing using different types of wood for the belly (part facing you), core, and back (part away from you) of a laminated wood bow. The belly sees compression and the back is in tension.

It makes me wonder if such and idea could be used on a laminated wood landing gear. I do not see why not. The significant difference that I see is that a bow is slow flexing/quick release while a landing gear is quick flexing/slow release. Another difference is that a bow is always under tension/compression when strung and, unless you design it carefully, will eventually "take a set" and loose some of its strength.

The top of the gear would see mainly compression and the bottom tension. It might be possible to optimize the performance by using different types of wood for the top, core, and bottom.

This idea is worth investigating, I think.

Back