• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Taper cut shear web for box spar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Bill

Doing some box spar testing/calculations..
after thinking some about typical box spar construction, I became concerned about the glue joint between the spruce spar caps and the outer shear webbing.
In a normal box spar with say 3mm (1/8") 3 ply plywood shear webs only the first ply is glued to the spar wood.
I may be overthinking it but to me it seems like it would be better to taper cut the edge of the spar and the face surface of the ply web so that all three plys are bonded to the spar.
Otherwise it looks like you are relying on the strength of the face layer itself and the strength of the glue between the plys to hold it all together.

Back