• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Construction Sequence Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I am starting a build on a Janowski J-1B, except changing to the T-tail of the J-2. All wood and ply, one layer of glass over the ply, and then cloth as the last layer. The outside is covered with ply, with ply on the inside of the cockpit area.

My question regards the sequence of construction for the fuselage.

The fuselage consists of 4 longerons. The shape is defined at 6 points: A nose piece, gear box, front bulkhead, rear bulkhead, and two spars in the tail. There is also some bracing in the empennage, which are not relevant to this question.

There is about 1/4 of a construction manual. I say 1/4 because the company that was doing the manual shut down before it was finished. What there is of this manual says to build the fuselage sides flat with the plywood on the outside, stand the sides up, and glue to the bulkheads, noise piece, and tail spars.

I think this would build in stress wanting to peel the plywood off, thereby reducing the ability to handle more stress, besides making it difficult to pull the sides in and maintain alignment while applying the epoxy. My idea is pretty much the same, except glue on the plywood sides after attaching to the '6 points'. That way there would be a minimal amount of built in stress trying to peel the plywood sides off.

Comments?

Back