• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Metal Reinforcements for Wood Joint ie Gussets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek1945

My question for you aero-engineers and the rest of us is; considering wood is strongest in compression then why are 0.0625 plywood gussets used instead of even thinner metal ones? Additionally many joints are 3D which would accommodate one piece gusseting in both xyz dimensions? It would appear wooden joints are an Achilles heel and 0.0625 plywood does little to claim my concerns, wouldn't a stronger gusset material be appropriate and safer?
My background with wood joints has proven metal strapping, yep the tossed stuff, when punched to accommodate fasteners or even adhesive penetration provides much stronger glued wood joints especially when bent 90 degrees. Even considering the small additional weight added, like using aluminum with compatible adhesives, wouldn't the improved strength be worthwhile. Thanks for your replies Ed
For clarity see example Simpson Strong-Tie Rigid Tie Connector-RTR at The Home Depot

Back