• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

To Steam Or Not To Steam, That Is The Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

My apologies to all the English Literature majors out there.;)

Today I cut some wood strips out of Hickory. My intent is to epoxy them together and then try to break them. This will give me some more confidence in the numbers I am getting from the Landing Gear Spreadsheet.

It turns out that the strips are flexible enough that I may not have to steam bend, which will simplify construction. However, this would 'pre-stress' the wood. But if I steam bend there would be not built in stress but, from what I understand, there is some amount of damage to the fibers at a microscopic level.

Another factor to consider is that the template I have come up with is not a constant radius curve (part of a circle), but a conic section (part of an ellipse). If I bend without steaming, will it form the desired curve? But with steam bending, I know I can get it to fit the curve. Then again, the conic section curve is defined by only 5 tangent points (the two ends, at the two fuselage walls, and the center line), so would it matter at all?

[Clarification: There are no sharp bends at any point in the curve, but it is not a constant radius as stated above.]

So, my question is: Should I steam bend or not?

Back