• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wood Moisture Meter - recommendation needed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wristwatch

Howdy, folks - I am embarking on a Pietenpol build and am reading all kinds of things about wood moisture. I will be building this in my single-car garage up here in CT and we have all four seasons. I am very (read: probably unrealistically) concerned about the moisture content for my project.

1) Should I be this concerned?
2) I am buying all of my wood from Aircraft Spruce - do they take any add'l steps to ensure better moisture retention from the outset?
3) If I let my wood sit around for a bit before sealing it, will I basically be wasting my time and material if I let it get outside of tolerances?
4) How long do I typically have from the time I receive the wood to building it to sealing it before I put myself into a corner?
5) I've seen multiple suggestions for places to buy moisture meters...is this a tool I should spend good ($250+) money on or am I OK with something in the $50-90 range?

As you can see, I am VERY novice with this process so far, so I am really hoping to learn from multiple books and good folks like yourselves. Thanks in advance!

Back