• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Surface reactivation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fly scared!

I'm considering completing an old project, abandoned about five years ago.
Most of the structure is Douglas and Okoumè plywood, glue is good'ol Areodux.
The timber has been protected but the paint in some points peels off.
I understand glueing directly on these surfaces (after scraping paint, of course) might prove difficult.
My doubt is: better to remove some material (how much ?) and replace it with a new layer glued on a fresh(er) surface; or try one of the reactivator products (HMR, NaOh) ?
In the first case I would prefer to knife cut, but in many congested areas it would difficult.
I've just one shot, because I won't be able to remove further material (in the first case), and it would be impossible to be find test samples with the same age and surface state.
I think the ideal would be an small electric hand tool similar to the one used to bury electric lines in the wall: a preset depth and a single neat stroke. But I've never seen a hand "planer" or "router" (sorry, my technical english is on the low side) this small, maybe some RC scale tool ?
But using a chemical product would be much simpler and faster, of course, provided you could be confident of the result.

Your suggestions, gentlemen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back