• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A Couple of Plywood/Foam Sandwich Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

[Don't know if this should be here or in Composites...]

Slowly working my way towards a design I like.

Today I was thinking about plywood/foam sandwich construction and came up with a weight guestimate of about 85 pounds for my basic airframe structure. Just the outer shell and bulheads/formers---nothing else. All made of 1/16 inch ply on both sides of 1/2 inch foam. (Yes, I know. But I haven't sized the materials yet, based on forces. This is just a guestimate.)

And then I was wondering, just how much weight would the epoxy (T88, maybe?) add to the sandwich?

Another question...Does extruded foam have a grain to it? Does it matter how it is oriented with the plywood grain?

[Edit]

Here is a sketch of my design, made in Vehicle Sketch Pad...
20057-couple-plywood-foam-sandwich-questions-side-side-midwing-tractor.jpg

Attachments

• Side by Side Midwing Tractor.jpg
    Side by Side Midwing Tractor.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,196
Last edited:
Back