• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

All the glue joints on a wooden airplane. I had a joint break in flight..But.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

I believe we all worry about glue joints and wooden airplanes. How many weld joints on a wooden plane? Not a hole lot but there is one and it about did me in this afternoon. Its on my throttle cable where the end is welded to hook on the carb. This weld broke right after take off. My carb has no return spring or any spring and she went from WOT to a little over idle.

I was already setup for an engine out so it was nothing. People on the ground thought I was done for. They came running telling me what a good job I did. I thought to myself, I was ready for it.
I just smiled and thanked them.

With the corn up full growth this time of year, you really do not want to land in it. I thought about this alot and come up with this take-off. It works for me.
Here is what I do. I take off follow center line untill half down the runway. I then start to drift off to the right. I do not go beyound glide distance, nor do I go past the end of the runway. As I'm closing on the end of the run-way, I am comming back across to enter my Downwind. I might only be 100 - 200' off the ground. Tonight for some reason I turned early. I was maybe 100'. I banked her back across the runway climbing as I am doing it. Just as I leveled off and started climbing more she went almost to an idle. I had 3/4 of a 4000' runway in front of me off to my left.

If I would not had done this, I would have been out over corn, and would have had to made a 180 turn to runway and we all know not to do that, so it would have been the corn. I will always fly my take off this way.

Who would have thought a weld joint would break on a wooden airplane and not a glue joint.

Tony

Back