+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By steveair2

Thread: WWI SE5 built from "Replica Plans"

WWI SE5 built from "Replica Plans"

Does "Replica Plans" (company name) still exist and sell the SE5 drawing package? They are very, very nice flying replicas.
    I think they were located in Canada.
    Jan Servaites (Dayton OH - The Birthplace of Aviation)
    (Where we had the brains and not just the wind to make flight possible!)

Re: WWI SE5 built from "Replica Plans"

There is Replicraft out of Fremont Ca. Here's a link. There are some SE-5's being built by RFA members. There is a Yahoo group where you can contact them.

Don

http://www.replicraft.us.fm/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RFApro...guid=316471426

Don,
    Thanks for the reply. I have the Jim Kiger's (Replicraft) SE5 plans (detailed drawings of the original SE5) and I didn't know about RFA's yahoo group.
    Here is more background info on this SE5:
    One 85 hp Continental engine
    Cruise speed: 90 mph
    Empty weight: 790 lbs.
    Loaded weight: 1,100 lbs.
    Span: 22' 10"
    Length: 14' 4"
    Height: 7' 2"
    (Original span 26' 7", Length 20' 11", Height 9' 6")
    Dan McGowan and "Gogi" Goguillot of Yarrow, B.C. designed this 7/8 scale replica of the famous WW1 British Fighter. While changes had to be made to accommodate a full size pilot, and an alternate engine chosen when designing the scaled down version as an amateur built sport plane, the replica does resemble the original.

It is represented as a much modified, scaled down sport plane, and not a true replica of the original fighter.

Use of a modern 4 cylinder 85 hp Continental engine required an ingenious cowling to simulate the original water cooled 200 hp geared Hispano engine, but provides a practical solution for every day operation.

Jan

Jan,
    Thats a nice looking SE5A. Got to be a blast to fly.
    Good luck finding plans. Have you looked at the Flitzer?
    www.flitzerbiplane.com

Steve
    Rosco likes this.

I have found the source of the SE5 drawings. They will reply back to me with a price when they get new copying estimates.
    (I just missed the sale of the drawings, on Barnstormers for $100)
    Jan

Reviving an old thread just to point out that a number of John Currie's Currie Wots were factory built for the old movie "The Blue Max" and their appearance tweaked to represent different WWI planes. The SE5a is the easiest of them all...slight changes to the outline of the rudder, a headrest a cowling that looks like it's hiding a radiator, big wheels and a fake Lewis gun makes a very passable "50 foot replica."

Currie Wot plans are still available from Britain's LAA (ex-PFA). I have the Wot plans...very detailed, lots of fiddly bits, but the result is quite spectacular. See a quick comparison below--this particular one went all out with wire-braced center section, long exhaust popes, etc. but you can see how even a stock Wot could be made to play the part.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think the Currie Wot makes a great Currie Wot ! I have also wondered; since the Isaac's Fury is a Currie Wot derivative, would the Fury's vertical fin and rudder fit (and work) on the Currie Wot? This would give the Wot a much nicer vertical tail shape IMHO.

I also would like (someday) to design a fairly accurate SE5 replica for the Rover V8, but that would be predicated on a really nice conversion for that engine. I have some ideas, but its taking a while to get around to it.

And then there's the red w/silver wings Sopwith Snipe replica with no guns powered by an uncowled Lycoming radial I'd like to have, and.....
    "ARE FLYING WINGS THE ANSWER?"

Story line on the September '48 Air Trails cover.

I am quite fond of the Currie Wot just as it is myself, I just wish it were about 100 lbs lighter to meet European microlight rules as a single seater, or had two seats.

In fact, hmm, listed gross weight is 900 lbs, empty. Built it light and simple, minimal finishing, move the rear-sloping cabane strut to go back from the firewall to the main spar instead of the rear spar, put diagonal bracing wires in there on one side only and you'd have a pretty respectable DH60 Moth lookalike. There might not be enough space up forward for more then a jump seat, no dual controls, but it would still be great fun. Sigh, now I need to get out my Currie Wot plans and take some measurements.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and was hoping I might find some help or maybe get some information. I recently was given a Se5a replica project that I believe is 3/4 scale. I got it from a guy, who had it given to him by a buddy of his, who purchased it from a museum that apparently closed. He said I could have it if I picked it up within 2 days, otherwise it was going on the burn pile. (Good thing I didn't hear about the plane 2 days later!) Anyways, I saved the plane but it didn't come with any plans or any paperwork. I'm trying to find out if there is anyone out there that might know enough about these replicas to maybe know which plans this kit was built off of, or if anyone might be able to tell me anything by looking at it or seeing pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Scott, You have an SE5a from replica plans (a modified Currie Wot) Lucky man. I built one 35 years ago and still fly it having done about 950nhrs on an O200 engine. A most delightful aircraft to fly. My friend built a Currie Wot at the same time and took dimensions off the SE5a plans when some of his were not clear. I had one short flight in his Vw powered model. The SE5a is semi aerobatic, 5 turn spins in slow motion with receovery under half a turn, stalls are very mild. Take your hands and feet off the controls in any attitude, power on or off and it sorts itself out and flys away GIVEN THE CofG IS IN THE RIGHT PLACE When you get your plans you may note that the ribs and pedals are different to what you have. I would recommend the brakes, also the axle is too light, another tube inside is still not quite enough.Ensure there is sufficient clearance where the push rod connects to the elevator horn. I had to carve out some wood on one side to clear a safety pin locking the clevis pin. After a renovation some timWWI SE5 built from "Replica Plans"-dsc01808-2-.jpge ago the clevis pin was connected from the other side and in flight the safety pin was gently rubbed undone allowing the clevis pin to come out. After a greWWI SE5 built from "Replica Plans"-dsc01462.jpgat shock of adrenalin I managed to control the pitch with small adjustment of the throttle, managed a rough landing from a very long approach with a good bounce but no damage.
    The Albatros D5a microlight in the photo I designed myself as a sparring partner for the SE5. It has now flown 40 hours on a 120hp Toyota engine.
    I am sure you will enjoy the SE5a
    Alby

Have any of you guys found plans for the Replica Plans SE-5A. I just picked up the partially built kit from a guy and I need some plans.
    mtgunner

The Dec. 1972 issue of Air Progress magazine has a pilot report on the 7/8 SE-5A done by Budd Davisson. He liked it but said it was a tight fit.

+ Reply to Thread