• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Heinkel He 51

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olympic1911

Greetings everybody, I'd like to introduce to you my long-going project my Heinkel He 51 replica. I started this build in November 2005 which makes it nine years old. My initial idea was to build a flying replica completely from Wood. However I soon realised that it would be far easier to build an accurate replica using the same materials that were used in the 1930s than a completely new design from wood. The Heinkel 51 was one of the first fighters of the new Luftwaffe that was formed after Hitler came to power. It saw extensive use in the Spanish Civl War and was mainy use as a trainer in WWII.

When started I had nothing. Hardly any plans survive but I eventually came aross several handbooks and repair Manuals. After a few years I was able to redesign the airframe 100% accurately. Here's the fuselage taken in 2011

The wings were built completely from Wood. Here are the upper wingribs:

And here the lower:

I am currently working on the leadng-edge ribs.

Stay tuned for more
Peter

Back