+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FEW TF-51 Mustang

FEW TF-51 Mustang

I am completely new to the forums. I''m in the research phase of getting started on a new project. I want a replica P-51 Mustang or an F4U Corsair. I really like the looks of the F.E.W. TF-51 Mustang. I was wondering if anybody had any feedback on them. I would also like to know if anybody knows of a Corsair that is comparable in scale and performance to the F.E.W. Mustang as I am looking toward 2 aircraft in the longterm. I've also considered the Titan T-51 Mustang and the Loehle 5151 but the Loehle seems a little slow for my taste. I'm having a terrible time finding a Corsair close to any of these and may have to consider something like an FW-190. I've even considered giving up and just getting a pair of RV's.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

I was also looking at P 51 replicas. F.E.W. TF-51 is a work of art. But it is too much $$$. I wish I could find a kit for around the price of an RV-8 and cruise speed around 200 knots. The Tittan T-51 is the closest I have found. But it is too slow. Good luck to you. If you find another P-51 replica out there please post it.

I got an email from Ed Hullinger at FEW. He told me that they are working on a kit for an F4U that will be the same scale as the TF-51 with a rotary engine. It is scheduled for 2005. I'm sure it will be expensive as well though

Nice stang

I also am researching the mustang build. I found 1 I'm serious about. the Sal Mustang from Falconavia. I ordered the info pack and it will be here in days. At that point I will Know more. Check it out you will like it.
    future Mustang driver

org

SAL builders website

Here's my SAL site. Hope it will provide some info for you.
    http://home.comcast.net/~ogoodwin/Mustang.html

Re: SAL builders website

Originally posted by org
    Here's my SAL site. Hope it will provide some info for you.
    http://home.comcast.net/~ogoodwin/Mustang.html

The link does not work. Do you have anotherone? Thanks!

org
    I don't know what the problem is...I just tried it and it worked fine. You can go to my old site: http://home.att.net/~ogoodwin/wsb/ht...ome.html-.html

Quite a few pictures there, just not as much text. Also, a Google for "SAL Mustang" will provide a link to both sites.

If you have any questions about the plans or build, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Olen

Your SAL sight is the reason I am most interested in that p-51. I like the walk through you posted. I wonder what retracts it uses? Also what canapy does it use? THX
    future Mustang driver

org
    The retract mechanism can be either electric or hydraulic, since it requires about a 10-12 inch linear actuator on each gear. The main drawback to electric is that the actuators need to be modified to incorporate an emergency extension drive. One builder had his machined to accept a snake drill attachment and has a battery powered drill to extend the gear. He says it can be done manually, but it takes lots of turns. I'm leaning toward that type system since it eliminates the pump, lines, and reservoir for the hydraulic system. The sequencing of doors and gear are done with microswitches.

My canopy is coming from Airplane Plastics Co. of Tipp City, OH and should be at my house next week. I sent them the outline of my canopy skirt where the canopy attaches, and the outline of the front bow, along with lots of digital pictures of the frame. These people make canopies for Vans, EZs, Titan Mustangs, and other airplanes. They also made canopies for the Thunder and Stewart Mustangs.

One of the nice things about the SAL and other plans built airplanes is that you can make small, cosmetic changes without any problems, since you are actually making each part instead of accepting the kit parts as is.

I'm working on a fairly major change to the site over the next month or so, since a lot has been done since the last update.

Olen Goodwin

Are there recamened gear for this plane? or just fit what you want? Are the plans well done? I mean can a noob like me build this aircraft?
    future Mustang driver

Oh boy.

no, really.

wow.

That is also a sweet looking mustang.

Well, even if the original ones are few and far between, the spirit is sure to live on.....

+ Reply to Thread