• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How much HP can a VW engine produce

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kidd

As the lead in says how much HP can one get out of a VW 4cyl engine set up for an airplane? I know much of it depend's upon overall displacement but whats the upper end one can get? I've read that 80 HP was the top end but also have seen 85 and even 100 HP advertised? I know I'm still learning but I'd really tought that about 72 HP was the upper limit. What gives here? Is it the use of redrives or some truly custom machine work beyond the skill level of an average person? Will someone please clue me in because I really like the VW engine but I thought if you were looking for 80-100 HP you had to consider the CorVair engine, which I also like. Thanks, wasn't trying to rant, just confused.

JK

Back