• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

USA Trip - Advice needed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltz

Hi guys,

I’m planning an overseas trip to USA from 9th July – 19th August this year and am looking for feedback both aviation and non-aviation related from like-minded people that would know more than me!

The main purpose of my trip is to attend the Oshkosh Airshow which has been a lifelong dream of mine (avid homebuilder). I have a few questions that I hope you guys can answer.

Here’s a quick itinerary:
New York, Washington, Orlando, Oshkosh, Chicago, Seattle, McMinnville, San Francisco, Los Angeles.

I’m spending between 4-7 days at each of the cities above; except Chicago and McMinnville.

I’m doing this trip by myself and will be staying at hostels and using public transport so I’ve tried to stay to the bigger cities.

I’ve tried to cram in as many aviation related things as possible. It’s hard to see everything, especially if there’s a lot of travel involved just to see one museum.

Here are all the aviation related things I’m seeing:
-Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in New York
-National Air and Space Museum in Washington
-Kennedy Space Centre in Orlando
-EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh
-Future of Flight Aviation Centre & Boeing Tour in Seattle
-Museum of Flight in Seattle
-Boeing Seafair Airshow in Seattle
-Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville

Now time for the questions:
1. I’m planning on attending all 7 days of Oshkosh. Is this what you would recommend or would I get bored after a few days? Is every day different or is there a lot of repetition with lectures and air displays? Which days are the best? Can someone please provide a general overview of the airshow. The EAA have not released a schedule yet and the research I’ve done hasn’t given me the answers I’m looking for.

2. Is it worth travelling to the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville to see the Spruce Goose? From the research I’ve done, the only aircraft I’m interested in seeing there is the Spruce Goose. As I will be using public transport, to see this museum will take me nearly 3 days which is why I’m questioning it.

3. Which days are the best to attend the Boeing Seafair Airshow? Is it worth attending more than one day or are the displays the same?

4. Are there any other non-aviation related things that should be on my must-do list?

Thanks!

Back