• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Problems with getting acetylene, any ideas on substitutes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patanke

Acetylene is very hard to get right now, my understanding is that the factory that makes the carbide the acetylene producers use to produce the gas blew up at the end of March. Both Air Gas, and Prax-Air will not sell it to non-contracted customers, due to a shortage that is expected last several months to a year. They are recommending using propylene, but I don't know what effect this will have on the welds. Any one have any idea? Otherwise I guess I'll have to figure out how to TIG.

Scott Y.

Back