+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stits Flutterbug sa6b?

Stits Flutterbug sa6b?

Does anyone know anything about the sa6b flutterbug. Only 3 on the faa site I found. I would like to know a little more before I jump on this one I'm looking at.
    Thanks
    Steve.

Re: Stits Flutterbug sa6b?

I've heard that they are both fun and capable. Can be either tri-gear or taildragger. I like taildraggers but the tri-gear version is cute.

Hi, Just doing a random search on the net, and came across this post. I joined the forum just to answer!!. My brother used to own one, so if you like some photos and Vids, maybe I can Help.
    Regard and greetings,
    Ralph Fisher,
    Melbourne, Australia.

P.S.
    rthefish (at) hotmail (dot) com

Yes I do as a matter of fact my Dad used to own one back in the 60's and I flew it quite a lot off a 600 ft dirt airstrip with 65 Cont. Works just fine and easy to fly - but not speedy by any means. There are plans available from San Diego air museum. It is a very simple plane and is designed to be able to remove/fold the wings and tow the plane home and put it in a garage as the entire plane is 18 feet long.

Thanks guys I did buy the one in my icon photo. It has a 75-9 conti, electric start. I love it. Very snappy little plane. 2500rpm level 100 indicatedStits Flutterbug sa6b?-066.jpg

And I will email you RTHEFISH any photos and vid you can send me would be great

What weight passenger (in the back seat) will the W&B charts allow if there is a 180 pounder in the front seat?

According to my paperwork, it would limit the pax to under 100 pounds (balance issues, not gross weight).

My w/b indicates about 60lbs in current configuration. I can move some things to improve w/b ( batt, lighter tailwheel)but dont forsee 2 180 pounders inside the w/b envelope and trim limits

Banned

The FlutRBug was certainly a simple design --I had a couple of flights in the first homebuilt version (built in Australia by Norman Hamilton in about 1954 )
    and even managed to soar it with the engine idling (two up) despite the damn nearly square wing panels . This particular aircraft (VH ULA) was one of two built as predecessors to a production line that was planned but never happened --it was owned by Steve Chapman at the time I flew it and later I was able to put the original builder in touch with him and resulted in his buying it back (his 'first love') and flying it again.

Richard Van Grunsven developed the RV 3 from the Stits Playboy --again of very low aspect ratio and as they say the rest is history...

And Ralph Fisher -- I am in East Ringwood so just around the corner from you --maybe we could meet up and 'compare notes'...? I'll send you an email with details, small world.

Smile Re: Stits Flutterbug sa6b?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    What weight passenger (in the back seat) will the W&B charts allow if there is a 180 pounder in the front seat?

According to my paperwork, it would limit the pax to under 100 pounds (balance issues, not gross weight).
    Hi
    After owning and flying one for 12 years Tri Gear version with an A65 cont. I can tell you it is a very forgiving aircraft. It is the easiest plane to fly that I know of although not fast average true (GPS)85 mph cruise. pilot only slightly faster with up to 150 lbs in the rear as the tail plane is carrying some weight.
    As built the CG is max forward to allow for the rear passenger.
    As far as a rear passenger I have one 206 lb (heaviest) myself 197 lbs (full Fuel 8 gls.) needs a little forward stick and full forward trim.
    It takes off and flies quite nice not the least bit squirrly (Touch down 48mph neutral or slight forward stick)
    It has a very high lift wing so is STOL
    To get in trouble with this aircraft would take a lot of doing.
    I am not trying to convey that you can do dangerous things with it, Just that is a very tolerant of CG
    Don't forget the passenger is sitting very close to you with his legs on each side of you.
    All in all I just love it for recreational flying, to watch the ground drift by in awesome wonder.
    This is as honest as I can be with my aircraft. I have flown another without passenger and it flew the same.
    I can not tell if yours is built the same so feel it out little by little.
    Happy flying
    Guy Kelly

Thanks Guy... that is reassuring. Still, to be on the safe side, I think I'll run an abbreviated aero stability analysis to be sure.

Steve, are you still around? I see your Flut-R-Bug for sale on Barnstormers and was wondering if that was a decision made for financial reasons or because the plane does not measure up to your needs?

+ Reply to Thread