+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plans built LSAs

Plans built LSAs

What plans built tube and fabric 2 person planes would be good designs for a LSA?

Wag-Aero Sport Trainer
    Wag-Aero Wagabond
    Bearhawk Patrol (LSA plans are available but might be on the heavy side compared to other LSA designs plus I believe the spec is based on a no electric build)

Any more?

I thought about the Christavia MK-1 but it is too heavy when looking at actual empty weights of most builders. Spec is 750lbs but most builders seem to be around 900+lbs.

EDIT

Just thought of the Buttercup and stork.

Re: Plans built LSAs

There are a number of designs that qualify. Kitplanes has thier fact sheets availableon thier website for a small fee. The LSA compliant choices are listed. It seems that the engine choice is paramount. Anything with a Continental or Lycoming pushes the load limit. The 80 to 100 hp Rotax 900 series is the most common if one can afford them.

I love the Cub-a-likes but can't get in or out anymore (arthritis) also the Wag Aero Trainer is one of the easiest homebuilts to sell.

Kitfox and Avid Flyer.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    Kitfox and Avid Flyer.
    Plans are not available, kit only.

I am only interested in plans built.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Bob View Post
    There are a number of designs that qualify. Kitplanes has thier fact sheets availableon thier website for a small fee. The LSA compliant choices are listed. It seems that the engine choice is paramount. Anything with a Continental or Lycoming pushes the load limit. The 80 to 100 hp Rotax 900 series is the most common if one can afford them.

I love the Cub-a-likes but can't get in or out anymore (arthritis) also the Wag Aero Trainer is one of the easiest homebuilts to sell.
    I have done a lot of searching but when you limit the search to plans built, high wing, lsa, 2 person, tube and fabric (add aluminum too, but don't want a wooden fuselage) and there isn't much out there.

There are lots of planes that fit but most are kit only such as rans, murphy, just aircraft, kitfox, several "cub" type makers etc...

I am trying to put together a complete plans available list with the above criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    Plans are not available, kit only.

I am only interested in plans built.
    I've heard of a few plans built Avids. I don't believe the plans came from or were sanctioned by Avid Aircraft, but the plans built version was nearly identical. I'll try to find the source for the plans if they are still available.

Bruce

Thanks, the STOL King is a neat plane.

Here is a good builder website

http://www.blackhillsairsports.com/S...ng_Intro2.html

I have read that before, that someone was selling plans that where essentially a copy of the design.

I have never seen a set or have heard of where to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    I've heard of a few plans built Avids. I don't believe the plans came from or were sanctioned by Avid Aircraft, but the plans built version was nearly identical. I'll try to find the source for the plans if they are still available.

Bruce

An excellent design is the Karatoo. Originally designed by Jesse Anglin it meets your specs very well. Plans available from Serenity Aviation.

Serenity Aviation - Karatoo

I just got my answer back regarding the plans-built Avid Flyer copy. It is called the Mohawk, but the plans are reportedly very incomplete, lacking critical information such as wing incidence.

Bruce

To my knowledge, there were at least 2 plans built avid/kitfox clones. The first is the Mohawk that bruce mentioned above. The were sold out of Missouri, but are pretty rare now.

The second is the Raven. These plans were sold out of Ontario, Canada. Raven plans are frequently available on barnstormers and/or ebay. In addition, I have seen some completed Raven's for sale.

One interesting thing to note about the Raven is that it was (most likely) the basis for the Eurofox (now called Aerotrek) SLSA. In an article in sport pilot magazine, the us distributer for the Eurofox explains that the design came after an Eastern European company (Czech or Slovak) bought "plans for the avid" from a company in Ontario Canada. That had to be the guys making the Raven.

The plane is pretty narrow (36 in), but it says that you can widen it. One of my plans is to get a copy of the Raven plans, and along with detailed pics of other Avid clone (e.g. kitfox, just aircraft highlander) fuselages and wings, make a version that is more like the Eurofox than the original Raven. I plan on taking tons of pics at Oshkosh this summer, and might see if I can pic up a set of used plans at the flymart there.
    Jon McDonald
    Building Sonex #1287

One other thing. I don't recall that the OP mandated high wing aircraft, so I will add the Sonerai II/IIL/IILS to the list of tube and fabric, plans built, LSA capable, aircraft (although, like the bearhawk, they do have metal wings).
    Jon McDonald
    Building Sonex #1287

There's a steel tube version of the Pietenpol fuselage if you'll accept parasol wings.

Acey Deucy- High wing open cockpit parasol
    If you don't like open cockpit, they also made one with cover ala T-6.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast