• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why Do Manufacturers Use Dacron Socks Instead Of Polyfiber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudbaseracer

Hey Guys,

I am a newbie here and not super knowledgeable on a lot of the building process so I apologize for the questions. I purchased my experimental Air Cam just recently even though it was completed in 2001. I am the 4th owner and the plane is in good condition. The "issue" I have with it is that I will be getting amphibians and those must be painted and since I am not keen on the current tan and red scheme I have started entertaining the idea of repainting the whole thing.

The paint is in good condition and shows no real wear. I would like to understand why the main wings are made of dacron socks while all the other surfaces use what I would call Polyfiber system? What are the advantages of the dacron sock? Do people forego the dacron socks and just do everything in Polyfiber?

Secondarily, is it wise to try to paint the existing wings or to remove the fabric and replace it with all white to start over? I would not be doing the work myself so would have to pay someone either way.

Thanks,
James

Last edited:
Back