• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Replacing internal drag wires with tubing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmatt

I own a couple of Beaver RX 550s and the wings are constructed with drag wires. Many other owners have upgraded their wings from the drag wires to aluminum tubes and since I have the fabric off one of the planes anyway, I figured I'd do the same.

The picture isn't of my wing but one that is constructed the same way. My plan is to install "u" brackets beside the current brackets holding the tubes that run front to back (compression tubes...?) and put in a similarly sized tube on the diagonal indicated by the red line.

Beaver_wing.jpg

My questions are as follows:

- does it matter which way diagonally I put the tubes?
- what type and size tubing should I use? (currently planning on 6061-T6 with either .035" or .049" walls)
- how should I attached the "u" brackets to the spars? (3-4 Cherry Q rivets or 1-2 AN4 bolts)

I plan on attaching the tubing to the brackets with a single AN4 bolt although I guess a few Cherry Q rivets would work there too...

What do you guys think?

Back