• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

W8 Tailwind tail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockiedog2

Anybody here ever built a W8 tail? I've got the vertical stab done except for the ribs. When I got to that 3/8x.019 channel for the ribs I started looking for a better way. That flimsy stuff is a royal PITA to fool with and I don't like brazed stuff in my planes either. No way to reliably weld it. I'm threatening to use 1/4" 035 round 4130. It weighs the same as the channel. I would like more rib width for the lacing back there in the prop wash tho. It'll be all right with real reinforcing tape not some strapping tape or like that which some guys use. It's a mental thing mostly. Or .025 bentup Pitts type ribs. They are a little heavier and have to fasten some little sticks on the flat turned up flange for the airfoil shape.
I'm looking for any ideas that are light, simple and easy. Somebody has been here before I know
Thanks Joe

Edit: been thinking about that 1/4 tube. decided against that. that's not gonna work for the lacing. just not wide enough/wrong shape. looking more like Pitts type ribs at the moment

Last edited:
Back