• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dacron tightness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmatt

I have two planes; a Chinook Plus 2 and a Spectrum Beaver. The Chinook has been covered with PolyFiber (or something similar) and has a nice tight fit. The Beaver has been covered with Dacron (I think) and is quite a bit looser with the ribs spaced quite a bit farther apart - not to mention the added disadvantage of UV damage with prolonged exposure to the sun. (the sails are 3 years old with only about 50 hours on them in the sun) Upgrading to a set-up similar to the Chinook will cost around $6000, not an amount I am able to spend at the moment.

So my questions are:

1) how loose is too loose for Dacron?

2) is there a way to take up some of the slack?

3) is it worth my while to apply a UV blocking agent (such as Stits Aerothane A 100 101 or similar)

Thanks guys!

Beaver_no_stick_small.jpg

Chinook_small.jpg

Back