• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Forward Spar question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarpedWing

Somewhere in the forum I read where it was important not to ding the tubular spars. After setting up the shop area and beginning to repair the work performed by the original owner of the kit on the rib attachments to the spars, I noticed a ding that appeared to have been buffed out. We did not notice this upon pre inspection purchase of the kit. Well, once I began work on the left wing, I noticed it. Now I am cautious and apprehensive about continuing work on the wing until I can get some input on this. The ding/scratch is 30.5 inches from the fuselage end of the spar between the 2nd and 3rd rib and 48 inches from the strut attachment. I am hoping that the spar does not have to be replaced. However, as optimistic as I am, I am four times as cautious. I have included several photos in the hope of getting some input from the forum members. So, your opinion is valuable.

Thanks for you pointing out my lack of "important detail". This is a Ridge Runner 3. This a 2.5" aluminum spar. the wall thickness is 1/16" and the depth of the dings range from .015 in the shallow areas and .03 in the largest. As I stated above the distance is 30.5 inches from the fuselage end of the spar. I have added several other photos showing this better.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0285 A.jpg
    IMG_0285 A.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 20150813_151547.jpg
    20150813_151547.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1101.jpg