• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wrong Landing Gear on my Super Baby Great Lakes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdus

I sent this e-mail to Grove Aircraft on Tuesday and haven't heard back yet. Thought I'd post it here and see what you all think.

(An overview of the fuselage purchase is on my YouTube channel, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a9SaoO_P6U)

Letter to Grove:

I just purchased a completed fuselage for my Super Baby Great Lakes project from another builder. It came with spring gear that someone told me are from you. In fact, they gave me a hyperlink pointing directly to your Baby Great Lakes gear. The gear are obviously not your Baby Great Lakes gear, as I discovered after measuring them and comparing those measurements to those on your website. I’m wondering which gear mine are and if they’re even yours. What I really need to know is if these gear will work on my airplane.

After doing some research, I believe that radius plates are the correct way to attach gear to the plane so that the plates are located right where the gear begin to curve downward. This will keep the gear centered on the fuselage and allow them to flex. I’m just guessing about this. Please verify that I am on track. These gear are definitely wider than my fuselage and are held on with angle brackets. This doesn’t seem right. Additionally, these gear seem stiffer than I would expect for this small plane, but I could be wrong. Once the plane is loaded and with the impact of landing, they may be appropriate. That’s what I’d like you to help me learn.

I’ve attached some photos of the plane and gear and I’ll give you the dimensions here.

Depth (front to back at top where it attaches to fuselage): 6”
Width, wheel to wheel: 48”
Width (flat along top): 25”
Height: 19”
Bolt pattern: 1.375”, center to center, square pattern
Thickness: 1/2”

p1197720597-6.jpg

p1197720615-5.jpg

p1197720752-5.jpg

p1197720769-5.jpg

p1197720645-5.jpg

Back