• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Welding Progress - Starting Legal Eagle XL soon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Hello:

I've been practicing a lot on welding. I ordered a bunch of 5/8 from wicks and to this point have probably coped and welded close to 200 joints. Mostly 90 degrees. I ditched a tube notcher and just use the templates from metalgeek.com (if I need them for the particular cut) a flap disk on a 4.5" grinder and some BIG round files. For me its the way to go. Fast enough and cheap.

Much better at it by now. I've found I like the way bare RG65 1/16 welds the best. The puddle seems to behave a little more predictably - that's the only way I can put it. But, should I have any concern with it being less ductile that RG45 or 60. Or is it a good choice. I got a great deal on it too 10lbs for $36. Seems to be a good brand INE. I probably wouldn't have ordered it but I couldn't find bare RG60 or 45. Anyway, I know this topic has been done to death, but would anyone NOT vote for RG65.

Also, I've started doing 45 degree joint and mixing 1/2" with 5/8". It's quite hard to get at the inside corner on the 45 degree joint. Particularly when joining 1/2" to 5/8". What should I be expecting. Right know I can't see any way of getting a bead all the way in there without burning through the tubing. Can I be satisfied as long as I have a weld that goes all the way around and fuses both sides even if it isn't right at the coped joint. Hope that's a clear question. A picture and a pointer would be nice right now, but I'm banking most will know what I mean from prior experience.

Thanks,

John

Hoping to get the table done and tube ordered by the end of this month and start laying out the LE XL. Going to have a rib jig in the basement and work on them along with the fuselage. Then the spars. Gonna try to complete all the parts seperately and then just get at putting them together.

Back