• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Scratches in Aluminum Wing Brackets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdus

I'm about to finish my first set of aluminum wing brackets for my Super Baby Great Lakes. To clean up some of the marks which got onto the bracket while working, I placed a piece of 320 grit sandpaper on my table saw (cast iron table) and ran the piece over it with some vigor. That cleaned it up quite nicely. I had also run a piece of 220 grit around the edges by hand just before this. The piece feels completely smooth to the touch, both around the perimeter and on both sides. However, one can see scratches all over the piece from all the sanding. I'm guessing the scratches are all small enough that primer/paint will make them invisible, although I don't know that with certainty.

My question is how small do the scratches need to be so as not to be a concern for stress risers?

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:
Back