• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Gas Welding Technique

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Hello:

I am working diligently at practicing gas welding 4130 joints. I'm using a smith airline torch a 201 tip and RG60 rod on 5/8" X .035" 4130.

The first thing I learned is how important setting the torch just right is. To little and your there forever and have no heat in reserve if you need a little, and too much seems to put the flame rather than you in control. This has prompted me to buy a "Gas Saver" valve as I figure I can set the flame right and not have to do so again every time I shut off.

What I like so far is that when I beat the finished product up it rarely breaks the weld. The joints look decent and I get a little better each time.

What I don't like is that I seem to be burning through quite a bit. Most times it progresses from the little ear on the coped joint and then starts to burn almost like its oxidizing as with a burning torch. I am fairly certain my flame is neutral. It just seems like as soon as I get a puddle BAM I burn through. So then rather than running a bead I end up doing what I would characterize as brazing the joint with the steel filler. I drop filler as part of the hole patching and then connect the lumps. Not to say it happens always, but the times where I can run along making a pool and dipping are not the norm. And the burning through on the ears happens a lot.

Any thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks,

John

Back