• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Brake it down and take it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabover

I have a use for an interesting and I think unusual aircraft.

I am now retired. I have an opportunity to deliver motor homes and from time to time a few semi tractors and some other commercial vehicles. Some folks that do this use the Greyhound bus, some the airlines, most a tow a car out and fetch back for the next load with this.

I have given some thought to this. When the weather is good a light airplane would beat cars for speed and burn about as much gas, and I get to FLY!

The problem is to design and build an airplane for the job. I have a private. Reading the FAR’s and discussing these with a local CFI/IA as well as reading on this site it seems that I can fly a multi-engine airplane, provided I am solo. I had the idea that I need only a single place aircraft. What is important is that I can break it down and reassemble it for flight fairly quickly and the individual pieces can be handled by me alone.

All the motor homes have a receiver hitch which carry a heavy tong or torque load. A fuselage would be an insignificant load on this.

So, here is the big question. Design. Multi-engine would help keep the individual piece weights down. I generally favor tube and rag construction, but will go for what works.

So, suggestions?

I'm 6' and 250lbs.

Cabover

Back