• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Which Type of Fabric Do You Recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomzoooie

I've been looking over my new project hoping I could get away without recovering. It's an 85% one of kind Cub design covered in 2.7oz Stits fabric. It will be registered as a basic ultralight in Canada.
The fabric looks good, but I saw a problem when inspecting the wings. Some how when the rib stitching was done the aileron cables got on the wrong side of most of the stitching and the cable rubbing cut them, so I will have to recover the wings and will do the fuselage too. I need about 40 yards.

The problem is 2.7oz Stits has not been available since 2008 and they replaced it with 3.15oz for $12.50 yrd.
I want to use the Stits Polyfiber system and stay with the 2.7oz fabric, because this will be a bush plane and I want durability (3.15oz if there is no other good option).

I would like to specially hear from anyone who has experience with these fabrics using the Stits Polyfiber system.
2.7oz Dacron at nearly a third the cost of the 3.15oz Stits.
2.6oz Ceconite, same cost as the 3.15oz Stitz.
1.7oz Dacron at 1/2 the cost of 1.7oz Stits. Do you think 1.7oz would be durable enough?

I would also like to hear about alternate covering processes anyone has used.

ZZ

Back