• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What Works Best For Removing Paint?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomzoooie

I just got a 85% Cub project which will be registered as a basic ultralight in Canada. I have a few questions about removing paint.

The Stits Poly covering looks pretty good, however someone, during it's life painted it with flat black over the original paint, which was originally Cub Yellow. You can see it where the black has been scratched or worn and a few spots that were covered where the black didn't get. What I can see of the yellow looks really nice and shiney.

What I don't know is what kind of paint the black is..probably spray bomb and I dont' know if the yellow is actually dope.
I want to avoid recovering if I can to keep costs down.
I need to remove the ugly black and not harm the yellow if it's dope.

So here's my questions:
I tried a test with a gel remover in a small spot and it cut the black, but also softened the yellow. Would gel remover also effect the dope?
How can I determine if the yellow is dope?
What can I use to remove the black and not hurt dope?

If the yellow is not dope, can I use the gel remover to remove all the paint down to the covering? W
ill it effect the poly sealer? If so could I just put a new coat of sealer and start from there?

ZZ

Back