• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Another Frankenplane Concept

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brohawk

Still trying to decide on the one airplane to dedicate my limited resources to. The fundamental requirements are two seat, LSA compliant.

I recently discovered the Hevle Classic, which is a 2-seat Flybaby. I really like the lines of this airplane. Living in SC, we have pretty nice weather, and open cockpit puttering has a certain appeal.

While the Flybaby has been around for decades and has a loyal following, I got looking at the solid gear (the only shock damping comes from the air in the tires) and wire-braced wings. That got me thinking, which is usually dangerous.

I also like the Spacewalker II, which is very similar. The Spacewalker has cantilever wings and conventional (shock absorbing) landing gear. However, looking at photos of the Spacewalker it seems that from the elbows up you are sticking up out of the cockpit. With the Flybaby/Classic it's more like head & shoulders above the combing.

The Hevle Classic and Spacewalker have the same wingspan (28'). They both have the same empty weight (800 lbs.). You can probably see where this is going.

The idea is blending the Hevle fuselage and the Spacewalker wings and gear. Given the similarities between the two airplanes, it doesn't seem like this would be anything extreme. Experimental, yes. Way out in left field? Not so much to my thinking.

Seems like the major adaptation would be where the fuselage and wing come together. The Hevle can be built with a steel tube fuselage, like the Spacewalker. Blending the Spacewalker wing/fuselage mating structure and landing gear attachments into the Hevle fuselage doesn't seem like it would take graduate level engineering.

The biggest problem I can see is insuring a one-off blend of two airplanes that individually (as far as I've been able to discover) have pretty good reputations.

Maybe it's just another "what-if" exercise, but I thought I'd toss it out here for more experienced people to ponder.

Back