+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wag Aero Wagabond

Wag Aero Wagabond

Hello folks. I am considering building a Wag Aero Wagabond and am fishing for any and all information I can gather. Ron has already been a great help. If you have any info or pics regarding the Wag, please step forward!

Myself, I find the Wagabond a good first time airplane to build. Do you have a set of plans? I was a little "shy" about welding up the fuselage, but with practice I believe I could do the job. I also found a professional aircraft welder who offered to do the final weld for a fair price. I would just have to cut and tack weld the tubing. I'm going back and forth between the Champion V and the Wagabond. What I do like about the Wagabond is that it carries a very good load (about 582 pounds with full fuel). Th plans are very easy to read and follow and you can buy parts from the company. If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

Ron

Thumbs up Wag Aero Wagabond

I found this site by accident while searching for something unrelated to aviation. You might want to have a look. It's a yahoo group dedicated to Wagaero builders of the sport trainer, wagabond and sportsman 2+2. Log onto "yahoo.com" and click on the link for "groups". Check the list for "experimental aviation" and do a search for "wagbuilders". Some good reading in the archives.
    Ron.

Re: Wag Aero Wagabond

Quote Originally Posted by cdnarcher View Post
    Hello folks. I am considering building a Wag Aero Wagabond and am fishing for any and all information I can gather. Ron has already been a great help. If you have any info or pics regarding the Wag, please step forward!
    I am about half way through building one, What do you want to know? I am using a Chevrolet corvair engine for power. Its a very straight forward design. The plans are good. You can incorporate new or used piper parts if you can find them. Piper didn't redesign something if they had a part on the shelf that would work, so interchangability is good. (ribs from a 37 cub will fit on a 62 colt etc. The ship is roomy as general aviation aircraft go, and its as honest a flying plane as you can find. Gary

Quote Originally Posted by pistoncan View Post
    I am about half way through building one, What do you want to know? I am using a Chevrolet corvair engine for power. Its a very straight forward design. The plans are good. You can incorporate new or used piper parts if you can find them. Piper didn't redesign something if they had a part on the shelf that would work, so interchangability is good. (ribs from a 37 cub will fit on a 62 colt etc. The ship is roomy as general aviation aircraft go, and its as honest a flying plane as you can find. Gary

Welcome to the forums, Pistoncan! You know we want pictures of your project.

This place has been around a while, so it's fruitful to check the post dates on some threads - this guy asked the original question in 2004.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau
    Member of the Lake Elsinore Soaring Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Welcome to the forums, Pistoncan! You know we want pictures of your project.

This place has been around a while, so it's fruitful to check the post dates on some threads - this guy asked the original question in 2004.
    I was searching the internet for wagabond when I ran across his post. I noticed the date after I answered it. (unfortunately) He's probably moved on to ball room dancing by now.

How interesting! I was searching the internet for information on ballroom dancing and I came upon this post!

just kidding....

Yes, please post pictures of your project for us!
    Great minds discuss ideas
    and mediocre minds speak of events
    While small minds talk about people.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
    How interesting! I was searching the internet for information on ballroom dancing and I came upon this post!

just kidding....

Yes, please post pictures of your project for us!
    Due to my size, 6-4 and near 300 lbs I decided to build it as a tandem, sorta like a J-5. I want to keep it LSA and simple. The gross weight will be 1319 lbs reguardless.
    I am using a PA22 fuselage as a donor. I sandblasted and then replaced 8 tubes in the bottom to have a solid fuselage. The wings are aluminum spars with wood ribs. The flywheel is in place till I get it running, Then I will replace that with a prop hub and propeller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wag Aero Wagabond-enginemounted-1.jpg   Wag Aero Wagabond-gear-legs.jpg   Wag Aero Wagabond-instrument-2.jpg  

Wag Aero Wagabond-ribs-wood.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread