• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Convenient welding tank size for 4130 tube structures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdj

Supporting Member
I've decided (with help from the Tinman: https://www.tinmantech.com/) that O/A welding is the way to go for the welding I want to do, using a Meco or other similar small torch. (Maybe someday I'll buy a TIG outfit just because one can never have too many tools, so try not to let this become another TIG vs O/A thread :grin:)

Anyway, for those who have actually welded steel tube fuselages or know someone who has, what Oxygen/Acetylene tank sizes have you/they found most convenient? So far my web research has come up about 50/50. Some folks say the small portable R/MC tanks like the ones found in the portable welding sets are fine, because the small torches don't use much gas and the small tanks are less cumbersome around fuselages. Others say the larger tanks are the way to go as they cost less per unit volume to refill and need to be refilled much less often.

Obviously, if I was planning to weld tractors and slice through plate with a cutting torch I'd rent/buy larger tanks. But I'm only planning to weld thin-wall 4130 tubing with a tiny torch. I don't foresee any other welding (and if I did, I'd look at getting that TIG toy...) How much of a fuselage can a person weld with those little R/MC tanks between refills?

Back