• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is there a less expensive substitute for 2" OD x .058 wall 6061-T6 ???!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Entropy

Hello all, I am currently in the process of aquiring materials for a Texas-Parasol/Chuckbird style aircraft, and although I have an extremely helpful and interested guy at an aluminum supplier here in Minneapolis searching for me, we can't find any easy to get 2" and 1-7/8" O.D. aluminum tube with .058" thick wall, and because of that the prices are looking hysterical... ($150 for 12' if the 1-7/8", $90 for the 2") I am curious if there are smaller dia. tubes with thicker walls that would have comparable strength? Or if maybe .125" or greater wall would really mess with my overall weight. I doubt I will make it in the ultralight category anyways at this point so strength and safety are more importiant than extreme lightness. If there's another post answering my Q's list throw a link down there, I will probably do the fuselage first (those 25' long pieces of angle are about 20 bucks... that's more like it!!) so I dont have to do the tube for a while except for the rudder and tail, which use slightly cheaper 1" tube.

Many thanks!!

-Benjamin

Back