• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Starting a Ragwing Special

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Aldridge

2 years ago I bought a set of plans with the intent to build. Then I found a mostly completed project for real cheap but far enough away that I couldn't afford to go get it (took several months before i gave up on it). Then I fell in love with the Thatcher CX4 and bought plans for it. Economic reality set in when looking at aluminum prices. Then I decided to build my own design. Economic reality has again set in, which brings me back to the ragwing.

I think one of my biggest problems was a mental block about building, thinking i needed someones help. I have got over that and I want to build. So this is basically the kind of announcement people make when they want others to egg them on. Haven't started yet other than dusting off the plans and figuring out what I need to buy to get started.

One of the huge advantages of the Ragwing in my mind is that the designer specs Northern White Pine instead of Sitka Spruce. I may have to do a lot of sorting but I'm not going to have to spend an arm and a leg on real expensive lumber as well as shipping.

Low build time is also a real strong point in the decision(500 hrs+). I haven't flown hardly at all lately and I miss it terribly. Hearing the merlins and R-3350's from the mustangs and Skyraiders that live 20 miles to the north makes that yearning even more severe.

So wish me luck and feel free to give me a kick in the behind if you think i need it.

Back