• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Questions on refinishing 6061 T6 tubing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gliderflyer

I'm just getting started with rebuilding some B1-RD ultralights. Much of the tubing was originally given a very thin epoxy powdercoat and is now showing lots of chipping and paint loss after almost 30 years. Last night I took a very non critical piece of tubing and went at it with some steel wool and the paint removed quite easily. My concern is the scratches left in the tubing by the steel wool. Does the tubing have a coating making sanding a bad idea? Last thing I want to do is set myself for future corrosion problems.

So here are my initial thoughts of the process, please criticize and comment as needed. You won't hurt my feelings, I'm admittedly ignorant in this area which why I'm asking for help before I screw something up.

1. Remove paint with rough steel wool.
2. Final quick sand with super fine steel wool (or scotch brite?)
3. Wipe down with acetone or ??
4. Prime immediately with Zinc Oxide or Zinc Chromate.
5. Top coat with flat black (krylon, rustoleum or ??)

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Randy

Back