• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

XFLR5 Stability Analysis at different air speeds???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I have been nibbling away at my flying wing virtual project.

Starting to look a lot like the Horten H-IV, except for the wing span. And pilot position (sitting, not prone).
Capture.JPGho_iv_finished.jpg
Great minds think alike, I guess!;)

The problem I am having now is with the dynamic stability tests.

XFLR5 finds the speed and AoA that causes the pitching moment to equal 0.0, then gives you the stability factors. This is OK, as it allows you to zero in on the best glide performance.

However, I would like to see what it does at different speeds. The only way I have thought of was to change the payload weight, which I don't trust completely. To get XFLR5 to run it at my desired cruise speed, I have to overload it by about 5000 pounds! What I want to know is what is the stability if I get to the cruise speed in level flight by adding thrust, not weight.

You can do a static stability test at different air speeds, but that does not give you all the parameters as in the dynamic test.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this in XFLR5? Or how to convert by hand from one speed to another (I'm not afraid to use Excel).

It does give you a Bode plot of the flight characteristics, and the Eigen values. Is there anything I can do with them?

Back