• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Viking 195T owner in Michigan/Ohio/Indiana sought for TV analysis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westcliffe01

Supporting Member
I am looking for a Viking 195T owner in the proximity of southern Mi who would be willing to participate in a torsional vibration study so that any owners of the engine would be aware of the performance of the baseline package from Viking. There would be no compensation asked for this service, it is considered a community service on my part.

The gearbox input shaft, prop shaft will need to be instrumented in the form of a reflective tape applied to an accessible diameter and possibly the teeth on the ring gear used for the crankshaft position. Data would be acquired from idle to static rpm on the ground, in 3-4 runups. The data would then be post processed back at home and reported out.

The attached image by DanH on VAF is the sort of response anticipated.

Jan does not hold any stock in such methods or else he would have done it during engine development, so this is an opportunity for owners to become informed regarding where they stand in actual system performance. The Viking 195T is the most powerful and most expensive engine in the portfolio and obviously owners would expect an appropriate level of engineering expertise to be applied to the product development.
I have no doubt that Jan would attempt to dissuade any owner from co-operation in this endeavor so only those with the appropriate constitution need apply. Thank you, feel free to contact me via a private message on this forum and we can then communicate offline until we have something to report.
1677222044519.png

Back