• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

V twin bird

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e_asphyx

This is a very rough sketch of a two seat aircraft intended to be equipped with 800cc (approximately 60hp) Gaokin V-twin engine. At this stage I'm dealing with balance before I could finalise the frame geometry. Wing and tail geometries are more or less established. The wing is is constructed similar to the Avis Flyer/Kitfox one with tubular aluminium spars and foam core composite ribs. Internal and supporting struts aren't shown. The tail is more interesting. Both vertical and horizontal surfaces have NACA 0009 profile and supposed to be made of the same foam core composite. The vertical stabiliser will be bonded to two supporting tubes which are welded to the fuselage. The rear tube will also carry rudder hinges (didn't figured out this part yet). Weight saving cutouts on the vertical tail aren't shown. The elevator is a single piece supported by a single hinge (shown below). I think it may simplify the construction and also make the elevator removable. I'm still unsure about the trimming system. It might be just an adjustable stick spring loading mechanism or a more traditional trim tab or an adjustable balance tab.

Tractor_2023-Jul-04_06-12-35PM-000_CustomizedView26481517452.png

Here is the elevator hinge close-up view. These plates are meant to be bolted to full-thickness hard inserts made of 18mm plywood of something.
945cdc48-1fba-4f5a-badf-a7e29ebb0c5d.PNG

In this configuration it's quite nose-heavy (I expect the engine together with the redrive unit to weight about 60kg, numbers are taken from the Gaokin engine spec and Aeromarine LSA V-twin spec). With the tail gear and battery at the back it may move close to desired position around the pilot's spinal chord.
Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 21.18.57.png

Back